OUR DIPER CHARTER
SIGN OUR CHARTER FOR
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, PARTICIPATION, EQUALITY AND REPRESENTATION ("DIPER")
OF BLACK, ASIAN AND MINORITY ETHNIC PEOPLE IN AQUATICS.
The Black Swimming Association is proud to announce our aquatic "DIPER" charter. We believe this charter is a necessary step in the process of diversifying aquatics. We are committed to addressing the barriers precluding people from ethnically diverse communities of African, Caribbean and Asian heritage from aquatic environments, as well as educating ethnic minority communities on water safety, life-saving and drowning prevention measures.
By signing our "DIPER" charter you are part of this positive change. Your support will help us highlight, understand and resolve these unique issues ethnic minority communities face within the world of aquatics.
This charter has seven key principles:
1) We commit to understand, address and find enabling ways to resolve the unique issues that preclude ethnically diverse communities from totally engaging in aquatics.
2) We commit to ensure that our aquatic programmes are designed and delivered in a manner that fosters equal opportunity, diversity, inclusion and participation for ethnically diverse communities in aquatics.
3) We commit to work together as one aquatic community to raise DIPER Aquatic Champions to drive forward this charter within their local communities.
4) We commit to showcase and make aquatic products accessible throughout swim culture for ethnically diverse communities.
5) We stand together with the BSA to build a Swim Buddy system, in which we partner non-swimmers and swimmers for the purpose of exchanging aquatic information, support, education and resources to enable more ethnically diverse communities to get in the water.
6) We commit to working with the BSA to raise awareness of the DIPER charter by capturing data on BAME participation and representation in aquatics from grassroots to elite level, as well as capturing specific data on drowning rates within the African, Caribbean and Asian communities. These data sets will act as a benchmark to track and measure progress on the DIPER agenda.
7) We commit to stand side-by-side with the BSA to help make swimming, swimming teaching, life-guarding and other aquatic opportunities more inclusive for all from the grassroots to the boardroom.